Thursday, November 16, 2006

"Hey, want to grab a coffee?"

Sitting down to lunch at good ol' A&W, I pulled out my map. Fortunately I had purchased a laminated version of BC and Alberta so I could still read it after the storm. I took a look at the map and realized how far I had ridden - and how far I really could go. So I made a call....

I called my friend in Vancouver at work and said, "Hey, what are you doing tonight? Want to grab a coffee?"

I realized when looking at the map that I was only three and a half hours away from Vancouver. Surely I had it in me to keep riding and make it all the way from Jasper, Alberta to Vancouver, British Columbia.

Following up on my coffee invitation I said, "Oh, and can I crash at your place tonight? I'm going to be a little tired"

So my coffee date with Bronwen and Neil was a go and I got back on the bike and rode the additional four hours (considering city traffic) to Vancouver and their new house in Kits. The sky had opened up once again and the storm seemed like a distant memory after I stopped for lunch. It was a beautiful day once again.

Boy was I glad to see friendly faces when I got into town that night. I was exhaused but I'd completed my longest riding day just a day after completing my previous longest riding day. I rode just over 800 kms (500 miles) in one day.

We had a good visit and I hit the couch. Zzzzzzzzz.....

No comments: