Tuesday, October 17, 2006

"What Should I Do With My Life?"

That's the question my brother, Dylan asked in early January 2006. Dylan is my older brother by five years. I've always looked up to him because he's the sort of person who followed his passion right from the getgo. As a boy, he loved airplanes and was trained as a pilot before he could even drive. I wanted to be like my brother. However, we've grown up to be radically different men.

Along the way I found my passion - communications - and followed it. Dylan continues to be involved with aircraft and is one of the most intelligent "real world" people I've ever known. He since developed a strong passion for motorcycles and motorcycling.

That day in January caught me off guard. Being asked by my older brother, "What should I do with my life?", is not a question I could easily answer. So I responded,


"I have no idea, but if you go do something drastic, you'll figure it out along the way."

I expected nothing more than a sarcastic nod from him when I uttered what I thought he would assume was a cop-out answer. For me, however, I learned the most about myself when I packed my things and relocated to London, UK when I was 21. I lasted six months there but came home knowing who I was.

To my surprise he turned to me immediately and said, "do you want to ride motorcycles around the world?"

Dylan is passionate about motorcycles. I was not. Once, and only once I had ridden on the back of his Suzuki SV650s a few years earlier. The experience was completely terrifying.

What must have been to his surprise I responded, "Let me get back to you on that."

More to come...

No comments: