Monday, October 23, 2006

The KLR crashes

Determined to make the KLR my primary mode of transportation for the summer, and beginning to feel more comfortable on the bike, I took it out for some errands and to meet a friend for coffee. This was my first trip out with the bike where riding it wasn't the entire reason for being on it.

Calgary has a trendy little area called Kensington where there are lots of shops, coffee and tea houses and the like. Unfortunately, the area is also known for being impossible to find a parking spot. I was running late to meet my friend for coffee and so I found a spot on a side street where there was enough - dare I say plenty - of room for me to park the bike. So I parked and headed in for coffee.

About an hour later I returned to the side street to see my KLR 'bleeding' by the side of the road. Someone had hit it and driven away.

Fortunately I had turned the petcock (fuel supply) off so there was only a little bit of fuel spilled on the ground. However, as I looked in shock, I also saw bits of broken amber plastic.

During the safety course I learned how to pick up the bike properly. I approached it and was embarassed and didn't know why. Getting the bike upright wasn't difficult. Getting it started was another story.

The Kawasaki KLR 650 has a reputation as an extremely durable bike that can take a lot of abuse. The technology is ancient and proven. On paper it was the perfect bike for the trip. Was I ever disappointed.

The KLR suffered bent handlbars, a broken signal lens, stressed plasic on the handguards, scratches to the luggage rack, a dented fuel tank, and it wouldn't start. My bike had 125 kilometres on it. My new bike was no longer new and I didn't even get to crash it myself.

I managed to get the bike started. There was a problem with the controls and the safety cuttof that I managed to workaround. Riding home was not fun with bent handlebars and the engine would stall when I pulled the clutch in all the way. Going around the world seemed like it was impossible.

More to come...

No comments: