Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Let me get back to you

When I left off, Dylan had just proposed we ride motorcycles around the world. I'd never ridden a motorcycle before with the exception of one seemingly death-defying ride on the back of Dylan's bike. The idea of being hurtled down the tarmac at highways speeds on a four inch square piece of foam and vinyl was not my idea of a good time. However, I knew I couldn't say no to Dylan without attempting to learn to ride myself first.

Off to Calgary motorcycle dealership Bow Cycle we went a couple of weeks later. It was mid January and I needed some motorcycle gear; not because I was going to ride in -15 Celsius, but because I wanted to feel like I was making progress. At this point I can guarantee you that I looked like a complete idiot while I was sitting at home, reading books about how to motorcycle while wearing my brand new helmet, jacket and gloves. To me it felt like It was a few days before the first day of school.

In some ways I was going back to school. Dylan has always stressed the importance of safety, and I can't agree more. That's why, before even thinking about buying a bike, I took the week-long "gearing up" course from the Calgary Safety Council. Dylan took the course years earlier before riding his bike as well and told me it was one of the best investments he'd ever made. In retrospect, he was absolutely right.

After a couple of months of anticipation, the time came for the course. I was going to ride a motorcycle for the first time.

More to come...

No comments: