Tuesday, October 31, 2006

V-Strom - Love at first sight

So off Dylan, Deanna and I went to Blackfoot Motosports to check out the bike that Dylan had been researching since his first ride on the Kawasaki KLR 650.

The shop was very busy as the economy in Calgary and area is going completely bonkers. Everyone it seems who ever wanted a motorcycle was at Blackfoot that Saturday. We walked in and headed over to the Suzuki section and Dylan pointed it out. The 20067 Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom. He had a seat on the bike as I looked it over. It was love at first sight.

The bike is a strange combination of street and adventure. Basically it's described by many owners as a sport bike that has been punched in the face to flatten out the front end. To me it looked like the perfect bike for the trip.

I kicked Dylan off the bike and took a seat on it myself. The difference between the V-Strom and the KLR was immediate. The V-Strom was a modern, powerful and beautiful machine. The KLR was a big, overgrown dirt bike from the 1980s.

Dylan and Deanna went off to look at some other things in the shop. I got off the bike, took two steps to follow them and turned around to look at the V-Strom again. I walked right back to it and got on again. I was hooked. This was the right bike for the trip and I finally began to understand why Dylan was passionate about motorcycles. Ten minutes later they came back and I was still sitting on it. I had to have one.

More to come...

No comments: