Friday, December 08, 2006

A different angle on laser eye surgery

A week after my experience at Gimbel Eye Centre, I had an assesment appointment at Mitchel Eye Centre, also in Calgary.

The experience was like night and day. I went with a friend who was also having an assesment and we both agreed that Mitchel, or Mitchel's staff and processes are far more thorough and comforting for the prospective patient. The only problem was when I met with Dr. Mitchel to go over my results.

I want to throw the question out there for people, what does 15 percent risk mean to you?
My situation (the scaled-down version) is that I'm far sighted. The proceedure for far sightedness involves steepening the cornea. I have a "steep" cornea already, so there is a risk (15 percent according to Mitchel) that I would develop as he described, "oil drop vision" basically my vision could turn into what you see in the reflection of a drop of oil. It's correctable with another procedure, but it puts me back in my glasses.

I've spent the last couple of weeks thinking about it and I have a new set of contact lenses on order. If I could get away with contacts on the trip, and in life, I think that would be ok. However, contacts have never made my vision clear enough and so I only wear them for sports.

More to come... sooner rather than later this time!

No comments: