Saturday, March 10, 2007

More eye problems

During my last appointment down at the Mitchell Eye Centre, the tech said that I should book an appointment right away if I noticed I was having trouble with my vision.

At that appointment my vision was -0.5 in each eye. Roughly translated to pretty good and getting better! We booked an appointment for a month later (March 22).

Fast forward to this week, I noticed on Wednesday that I was struggling to focus on both near and far items. I could do it, but the process was similar to an old auto focus camera lens that is struggling to know what it should be focusing on. So I called.

Fortunately I managed to get in the next morning bright and early - after taking my car to the shop for some warranty work.

A different person handled my tests this time and she went through a slightly different process.
She asked how my vision was and all I could really say to her is that I knew it wasn't right, but couldn't tell why.

It turns out that my dominant eye, my right eye that I had epi-lasik on, is now at +0.5 and my left, LASEK eye is still progressing properly at -.25, nearly perfect.

So now I'm left with a right eye that's far-sighted and a left that's nearsighted (for the short term). She put me back on Maxidex, a steroid drop that I was taken off of at the beginning of this "adventure" at two drops per day. I still go back on March 22 for another followup.

To be completely frank about things, the thought of being far sighted again after all of this is both heartbreaking and expensive. This surgery wasn't cheap and because I had steep corneas in the first place, I doubt they will be able to do an "enhancement" surgery on me. The drops are not likely to revert me back into a 0.00 or slightly nearsighted world - that's my assessment.

I'm just glad I caught this when I did and managed to get in right away to prevent it from getting worse. I thought this chapter of my life and planning for our trip was coming to a close.

More to come...

No comments: